Child Psychology

Everlief provide child psychology services for families from Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Warwickshire and West London.

What’s a clinical psychologist?

  • Clinical psychologists are trained to understand a child’s social, emotional and cognitive development. They understand the types of difficulties a child and their family may face.
  • Clinical psychologists undertake a first degree in psychology, followed by a period of 2-3 years learning “on the job” as an assistant psychologist (usually within the NHS), and finally they must complete a three-year doctorate in clinical psychology.

What does a clinical psychologist do?

  • Clinical psychologists are trained to offer in-depth assessments which help a parent or child to gain a deeper understanding of how a difficulty may have developed, and what can be done to make things better.
  • Clinical psychologists may teach particular skills such as problem-solving, relaxation, and developing more positive patterns of thinking. They are trained in a variety of talking therapies. At Everlief one of the types of talking therapy used is cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT).
In many cases, small changes in a family’s or child’s behaviour can make a huge difference, and a psychologist can help work out which changes are necessary and how to put them into practice. We call these behavioural interventions.   At Everlief we never think about the child or their difficulties alone, but we consider the whole child and all the different parts of their lives, such as family, school or nursery, friends or peers, strengths and interests. We think about how each part of a child’s life may be affecting, or helping, the difficulties the child is facing. We may ask you to think about things, or make changes, as family. You may hear this referred to as a systemic way of working.   Another commonly used approach at Everlief is solution-focused therapy. Your psychologist encourages you and/ or your child to think about what they would like to achieve (rather than focusing on the difficulties), and the steps that are needed in order to reach this goal. This approach focuses only on the present and the future, and makes use of a child and family’s strengths, to achieve their goals.   Clinical psychologists are trained to work with adults as well as children of all ages and abilities. We have specific training in working with those with a learning disability, and we are happy to work with children who are not able to speak.

What can Everlief help you with?

Everlief work with all areas of emotional and behavioural difficulties in children aged 0-18.
  • Behavioural difficulties including anger issues and anger management.
  • Emotional problems such as anxiety, OCD, worry, low self-esteem, depression, fears or phobias.
  • Developmental issues such as ASD, ADHD, toileting problems or poor eating.

What is Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)?

CBT is a type of talking therapy which helps you change the way you think, feel and behave, and teaches you about the links between the three. It is a collaborative approach, where you and your psychologist work in partnership to reach goals which you have set. Cognitive means “thinking”, and psychologists believe that certain thoughts or patterns of thinking can trigger emotional difficulties including depression and anxiety. In therapy, a psychologist will help you understand your thoughts, challenge problematic thoughts, and encourage more helpful patterns of thinking. The “behavioural” bit of cognitive behavioural therapy, looks at patterns of behaviour which are harmful or contribute to the difficulty in some way. For example, if you have a fear of crowds, you may begin to avoid going out because it is so stressful. However, this “behaviour” only makes the problem worse in the long run, as it affects your confidence and mood and does not solve the problem. So your therapist will help you find different ways of dealing with the problem, and will encourage you to practise these.  

What’s the difference between a:

Psychologist and a psychiatrist?
  • Psychologists and psychiatrists have different training.
  • Psychiatrists complete their general medical training, and then go on to specialise in psychiatry. Psychologists have a first degree and a doctorate in psychology, as well as several years of “on the job” experience in between. Psychiatrist can prescribe medicine whereas psychologists cannot. Psychologists are trained to deliver talking therapies, whereas psychiatrists are not (though many undertake further therapeutic training).
Psychologist and a counsellor
  • Counsellors help people explore their feelings through listening attentively, and providing a space for clients to find their own solutions to difficulties. Unlike clinical psychologists, they do not give advice.
Clinical and educational psychologist?
  • Clinical psychologists clinical psychologists focus on behaviour and emotional wellbeing.
  • Educational pychologists focus on school performance

More detail can be found on our fact sheets:

If you are looking for child psychology services please get in touch!

Contact us for more information